Monday, May 13, 2013

Practice, Practice

I think God has brought me back to a very fundamental truth, one I learned a while ago when I first really had a change in my life and turned more to Christ: that although we will never be perfect we must continue to strive to toward the goal that we are called to in Christ. We must continue to put into practice what He asks us to do, through scripture and through conviction. He will not leave us the way we are if we continually seek Him and do not give up.

Phil 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Phil 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus

I remembered talking at one of my mom's retreats one time about this. I had experienced several situations in a short time period where I had the opportunity to "practice" - I had felt God's presence and leading in these situations about how to respond or provide help, etc...to demonstrate Christ's love. Some of those situations I felt like I did ok, others left me wishing I had done or said something differently, but I think the key was the focus wasn't on my weakness at that time, I was able to view them as practice, not failure.  I felt as if God was teaching me and molding me, and just like when a coach corrects his players I didn't get beat down or discouraged, I looked forward to the next time I would have an opportunity to do better. I tried to see it from a different perspective. I tried to understand what God would have liked me to do and then apply it to the next opportunity. I tried to realize how the situations could leave a lasting impact if I let God work through me. I guess what I really tried to do was allow God to train me - and train me for something that has an eternal impact.

1 Cor 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 

I've never been quick on my feet when it comes to wit or reactions...I'm one of those who two hours later thinks of an awesome response or come back and regret the missed opportunity! I think this is one area that practicing could really help. In light of the "emergency situation" I found myself in that I posted about previously, I know that more practice would have definitely made me better prepared. While I don't want to find myself in those situations often, where someone else is struggling to hold onto life, I can practice boldness and confidence in my decision making. I can do this on a small level daily. I can choose to look around me to see those God may be putting in my path that I can help, even (or perhaps especially) if it requires me to get out of my comfort zone. I'm not a Jillian Michaels fan personally, but I have done a few of her work out videos and one thing that she said that stuck with me is, "Get comfortable being uncomfortable." Is it possible God gives us opportunity to "practice" doing the needed but uncomfortable things in life on a small scale to make us more prepared when the larger situations come up. I think so. Also similar to the verses I posted earlier this month Prov 1:32 - I believe I have gotten too comfortable and too busy, which is another subject in itself, to recognize and respond to the needs placed around me. I pray God will open my eyes and show me the opportunity that I know all around me to bless others, to serve Him, to share His love in word and deed, unashamed and unafraid, boldly and confidently.

And speaking of busy....I have two boys that need to finish homework and get to bed, so I guess that's all for now! Hopefully I'll get back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment