Monday, June 23, 2014

To Drink or Not to Drink...and Responding to Other Lusts of the Flesh (Modified)

I felt a need to modify to be fully disclosing and true. So the part I modified is colored blue.

Ok, let me begin by saying this is not a deposition on convincing you what is right or wrong or arguing a case for one way or the other about drinking, but rather a personal inspection of the Spirit within each of us as individuals and listening to it, especially when it is something that is not called out as a black and white sin in the Word. That said, just so you can see this is not an attack on those who drink in moderation, I do not believe drinking is forbidden in the Bible. I did a study a while back on the subject where I looked up every verse from the concordance that had to do with drinking, wine, drunkenness, etc. looking for whether it is right or wrong and I never found anything that forbid it. Drunkenness no question is spoken against several times, but even when Noah got drunk and was found in his nakedness I was surprised that it seemed God reprimanded his family's treatment of him more in scripture than Noah's act of getting drunk.

However, I am using drinking as an example because it has always been an area of contention for me. Please think on this substituting anything that may be a struggle for you. A quick background. I did the party thing in high school and college. I drank to get drunk and enjoyed it. Long story short, God took hold of my heart and truly changed me, I was humbled and ashamed of my behavior and totally enamored with God and grateful for the change He made in my life. I spent about a year completely abstaining from alcohol and I truly believe this was necessary for me in order to change.

I did start having a drink here and there but only in "safe" situations - only with family present or my husband, occasionally with a close girl friend. I have spent the past four or five years living that way and being very careful with drinking. The past year however there have been a few times when I felt guilty. And I'm not talking about guilt because I was completely hammered, just a nagging feeling that maybe it wasn't right for me. I dismissed it, even thinking on that scripture that says to put away the old self. I used to think that applied and meant to completely abstain, but then started to view it as how differently I approached alcohol. I truly wasn't my old self. I despised the thought of getting drunk. That's certainly a change from my old self. So I continued, even recently. But not with peace.

I look around and I see people enjoying having drinks in moderation and even now I truly do not think this is a sin. Yet the thought is on my mind a lot, and lately I've realized it is stealing my peace. I know a few things are true about me that makes me that makes moderation hard. I am highly habitual, with anything. For example, if I start eating a turkey sandwich for a few days at lunch, I will go months eating a turkey sandwich every day for lunch and enjoy it! I also struggle with indulgence. If I really like something, I want a lot of it! So I know these areas that I am prone to and know because of them that alcohol is potentially dangerous to me. And to be completely honest, while truly in these last few years I have maintained a level of control, I have had a couple times when I did have too much and felt terrible about it and also times when I felt I had made it too regular of a habit, even in moderation. So I know the nagging in my spirit was a warning that I should have given heed to.  

1 Peter 2:11-beginning of 12 - Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. Keep you behavior excellent...

My purpose in this post is not really to visit specific sins or opinions about what is right and wrong, but to think  on the personal issues in life that steal our peace, even if it something that is not explicitly forbidden in scripture. If there is something in your life that steals your peace get rid of it! Wage war against it! My bible commentary on this verse says - "War - to carry on a military campaign. Fleshly lusts are personified as if they were an army of rebels or guerrillas who incessantly search out and try to destroy the Christian's joy, peace, and usefulness."

I agree with the commentary and add that fleshly lusts are not only personified in the verse but also very personal. What steals my peace may not be a problem for you at all. What you struggle with I may never even think twice about. We all need to look at what hinders us personally. If something is stealing our peace its not right for us. These things are war against our spirit and do destroy our peace and joy. When we should be free but instead are bound by questions and guilt, something needs to addressed. And I agree with the thought that these things steal our usefulness too. If we have something in our life that brings guilt, how much more likely we are to feel we are not fit for service. We need to know we are redeemed and fully equipped by God to run full speed in service to Him, but when we are pulled down by guilt or questions about our behavior, we will be more likely to hesitate or separate ourselves from His kingdom work.

And the scripture says abstain from these things, not toy with them.

Let's live life free. Regardless of what anyone says, if it doesn't line up with what God wants in our life, if it causes guilt and questions, I encourage us to at least try abstaining and see if it doesn't bring a freedom and and increase joy and peace in our lives. God is a very personal God. He has plans for you and I individually in His grand scheme. Let us keep our hearts free so He can fill them.

1 Peter 4:19 Therefore, those who also suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.

Who better to entrust our souls to than our very Creator? Is He asking you to do something right today? Trust Him, even if it is hard or makes you a have a little different viewpoint than most He will honor your obedience and bring a freedom and joy that is truly worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment