Thursday, March 27, 2014

Relationship

Lately I've been thinking a lot about coming into obedience to God and finding areas where I can serve Him and I read a piece of scripture today that really made me realize relationship and communication with God are key to everything else and is what He desires most. Seems so clear and makes so much sense - How can I be in obedience to God when I am not consistently asking Him what I am supposed to do?

David was beloved of God, a man "after His own heart" and David was in constant communication with Him. David talked so easily to God, and not only in generalities but specifically. In the scripture below he first asked if he should go to Judah. God answers yes. Notice that wasn't the end of the conversation, David then asked for specifics, "Where should I go?" And God told him Hebron. So he went.

David inquired of the Lord. Then he listened to him and obeyed. So simple, yet I seem to get it backwards and try to obey without first listening to what I'm supposed to do!

2 Samuel 2:1-2

New International Version (NIV)

David Anointed King Over Judah

In the course of time, David inquired of the Lord. “Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?” he asked.
The Lord said, “Go up.”
David asked, “Where shall I go?”
“To Hebron,” the Lord answered.
So David went up there......

1 comment:

  1. Walking With God by John Eldredge is a really good book I read several years ago that encourages daily and constant communication with God...I may pick it up again! I recommend if this is something you are interested in. Please comment if you have any ideas or suggestions as well.

    ReplyDelete