Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Comfort We Receive From God

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ the Father of Compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all troubles so that we can comfort those in trouble with the comfort we ourself receive from God. (2 Cor 1:4)

I've been stuggling with this situation and God revealed this verse to me in one of my studies (90 days with the One and Only). Several days ago, this seventy year old lady (assumption) came to a friends door and knocked. The woman had a small bag and was worn and withered. She continued to ask this friend if there was some work she could do around the house because she was down on her luck. My friend, who was busy said No, I'm sorry...but as they lady walked off she and another friend discussed and decided to chase the woman down to give her a twenty.

By the time she reached the lady, she had knocked on another door and apparently the people said that they had weeds she could pull....so the old lady was pulling weeds by the time my friend approached her. She handed the woman a twenty and asked her if she didn't mind could she ask how she found herself in this particular situation. The woman responded that she didn't have any family (one sister in Alabama) near by and shewas a caretaker of an elderly man who had passed away ten days ago. The family of the man didn't owe her anything so she found herself homeless. She had to earn $5 a day to be able to stay at the Salvation Army here in Odessa.

I've been struggling with this....even crying. I know there is tragedy around each of us everyday. As a matter of fact, I've had to tell myself that this lady is a crack addict and choices have put her in that position, just to cope with this nagging memory. But....what if God has put this lady in the path of others to help her....witness to her....comfort her.......I'm not sure but very heartbroken. I know this may have been rambling but I just needed to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment