Friday, April 15, 2011

Prayer

I'm looking at Mark 16:15-18 and how powerful and exciting the call of Christ is. In v17-19 it says "And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well"

I'm not saying I'm want to go in the back yard and grab a rattlesnake, but I'd like to see some of this kind power from Christ in my own life! I'm reading in a chronological bible and it really helps put things in perspective. The disciples were given the instructions to go out into the world and spread the gospel and perform these miracles, but after they were told that they would go, before they were sent out, Jesus opened their eyes to the scripture so they could understand and they were told to wait in the city until they recieved power from the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:45 & 49). Then, they followed these instructions and went back to the city, got together with the other disciples and family members and friends and "prayed constantly" (Acts 1:12-14) They knew they were to go out, but they waited on the Lord and sought His guidance and followed His instructions.

I think sometimes we get excited about our calling in the Lord but forget to wait upon Him and rely on Him fully. We can't expect to see the power of Christ displayed if we are not doing our part in seeking Him through the scriptures, asking Him for understanding and praying constantly. Not just alone but also with other brothers and sisters in Christ. When we get serious and truly listen to and follow God, we will see the miracles He promises but we cannot choose to be complacent or lazy in our seeking and prayer life and expect to see great results. Christ didn't send the apostles out without preparation and He won't send us either. But if we do, He does promise us He will be with us always, to the very end of age.(Matt 28:19-20)

This is something I really need to apply to my life. To commit more fully to prayer and seeking God's will. To ask for more understanding so I can know what I need to know to be prepared for His calling.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tisha-

    Just wanted to say that I really like your blog. Very insightful and well written. I am curious about the chronological bible you referenced. Any recommendations?

    Good to 'see' you again. Keep up the good blogging!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky,

    Thanks so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. I am reading the THe Daily Bible, NIV chronological bible. My husband has one published by Thomas Nelson (NKJV). Mine is very simple and has a breif summary before each section. My husbands has much more reference material like maps and commentary. We really have enjoyed them.

    Thanks for commenting!

    Tisha

    ReplyDelete