Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sheep

We got a couple sheep, both pregnant, about a year ago. They had three babies that were so cute! The boys and I loved watching them run and play.

Well, it wasn't long before our German Shepherd grew an interest as well, hers not so innocent. Within a few months she had killed all three babies. It was sad for us all. I know I risk sounding crazy, but I actually went and had a conversation with the sheep. Mom to mom, I felt sorry for them that they had lost all their babies. They would walk around bleating and looking around, like they were calling for their children...I know they missed their sweet babies.

Anyway, the same day the last one was killed I was outside and noticed the sheep standing on one side of the wire fence while our German Shepherd sat on the other, right up next to them, salivating over them being so close! They were within a foot of the dog who was in plain sight! I wanted to yell at them, "Sheep-don't you realize that animal you are standing so close to killed your baby this morning!?"

And then I thought about us. How many times have we seen sin kill and destroy lives and hurt us and those we love? Yet many times we stand right up next to the the fence, while the destroyer stands only inches away on the other side watching for us to make a wrong move, waiting for his chance to pounce. Instead of fleeing as the bible instructs, we piddle around with sin and we refuse to give it up completely. Oh, we can see the risk, we know what's waiting just on the other side, but we stubbornly continue to make excuses to keep it near.

HHmmm, wonder why the bible compares us to sheep so much? I'm pointing the finger straight at me. It resonates with me so much because I know its true in my own life.

You know what I love about the sheep though? They've gotten used to me and anytime they hear me they run and find me. They really do follow my voice. I enjoy feeding them, and they know I will if they show up. And if I am around I will make sure the dog doesn't have a chance to kill them! Same with us & and God. Those of us who belong to Christ know His voice and know that if we follow it we can rest assured we will be fed and well taken care of. I love the sound of the Shepherd's voice, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment